to give insight to gullible people, to give knowledge and foresight to the young— a wise person will listen and continue to learn, and an understanding person will gain direction— to understand a proverb and a clever saying, the words of wise people and their riddles.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Stubborn fools despise wisdom and discipline. (Proverbs 1:1-7 GW)
Key phrase — The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.
- What are the specific benefits of studying these proverbs?
- How are each of these things distinct from the other?
- Who will benefit from studying these proverbs? How will it benefit them?
- What seems to be an essential part of learning this wisdom and knowledge?
- What is the consequence for not gaining from this wisdom?
Make it personal...
What is a specific element of wisdom you'd like to have? How would this benefit you in your daily life? What do you see as a first step for gaining this wisdom and when will you start pursuing this?
Proverbs is a source of practical wisdom for every person who pursues it.